Saturday, July 18, 2009

Easy ,eh?Yeah Right!

I have a predicament. actually, it's more of a realization. now, if u've been following this blog for a while, u'd know that i recently *a year ago* learnt to cook ,I mean like a full fledged cook,like my Mom. Before u shudder or move on directly to the comments section and say something smart-alecky.. THAT is not the problem! the problem, however, is this. I screw up the simplest dishes. picture this: 6 people coming over for dinner. last minute notice. I can manage to cook appetizers, main course and of course, we buy the desert! *what did u think, I was superwoman!?* but the point is I usually manage to cook decently enough for whoever's eating to help themselves to seconds. and sometimes ask me how I cooked it,and trust me, I quite pride myself on such occasions! *i also brag about it to Vineeta/Mona.. whoever I find online.* I'm not overtly fond of cooking, but I manage. then, after a couple of days of eating "rich" food, when the tummy wants a simple meal. umm... I screw it up! meals as simple as daal/chawal *not the chawal, I screw up the daal(varraan)*, tomato chutney, or even the wretched boiled aloo sabzi! i can make kick-ass palak paneer, but boiled aloo ki traditional maharashtrian sabzi? oh gosh! i KNOW how to cook these. trust me, my mom and my entire family memebers who give me recipes now and then, thot that these wud be the only things i'd be cooking. *d rest of them cudn't imagine me cooking. still can't.* and there I am! proving them wrong all over again! I tried following recipes *which, has never worked for me*, I tried going with the flow and cooking it as I cook other food. naah, not working. I even tried reading mom's recipe and doing everything the same way and STILL screwed it up! what is it!? and this is supposed to be easy-to-cook, u know! i remember my aunt once saying, 'if someone's coming over unannounced for dinner, just boil those potatoes and cook it up. simplest thing to make'. *me hass a looong puppy face as i write this.* it's like "beti ko chai banaana toh aata hi hoga?" DAMN! wrong example. i can't make tea either! well, I am a coffee drinker! Also, after a while V (who is in looooooooove with "his perfect" tea) makes it himself,so that's not really an issue! but d point is, WHY are these allegedly simple dishes SO complicated for me?! and why is it that i manage perfectly well with everything that's supposedly complicated? i think Pur was right... my brains ARE in my pinkie toe! :( i wish i cud figure out how not to screw this up. either that, or how to not feel guilty when i screw it up. oh, wait! i already know that!

No comments: